Saturday, May 24, 2014

Landon's Final Words on Klinsmann Cutting Him from World Cup


Reporter questions here are shortened down, Landon Donovan's responses as close to exact as I could get transcribing. 

How do you move on from this disappointment?
To be honest, the support I have received has been really overwhelming, and I think it’s helped me understand the sort of impact that I've helped have. It’s been really nice and so at the end of the day, although it’s surprising and disappointing, this is my job and all the guys out here (indicating Galaxy players) are depending on me and I want to continue playing and enjoying myself, like I have been.
Did you have a feeling or indication of exclusion?
No, quite the opposite, actually. Based on my performances leading up to the camp, based on Based on my preparation for the camp, based on my fitness, based on my workload, based on the way I trained and played in camp, I not only thought I was a part of the 23, I thought I was in contention to be starting. That’s why this has all been pretty disappointing.
What is your level of anger in this decision?
I’m not angry. I’m disappointed. I’ve spent most of my adult life and the majority of my life in general, dedicating myself to the sport in this country and representing my country. So, I was really looking forward to the opportunity to play in another World Cup and to help this team. Having been in camp for ten days, I really thought I was going to contribute in a big way, probably bigger than I had expected going in. From that standpoint, I think it’s disappointing. I think every one of my teammates would probably echo those same words.


Klinsmann says other guys were ahead of you at start of camp.
I don’t agree with that assessment. I think I was at least as good as everybody else in camp. From that standpoint, I don’t agree with it. I think you guys that know me well know I’m pretty honest when it comes to my assessments. When I say I don’t play well, I didn’t play well, and when I say I played well, I think I’ve played well. I think I trained and played very well in camp. I think I was one of the better players. That’s why it stings a little. I think at the end of the day, Like I said before camp, if I had gone in and didn’t feel like I deserved it, then I can live with that. But that’s not the case here.
Klinsmann said he was looking at you as a forward - did that pigeonhole you?
I think one of the real good attributes in my entire career has been my ability to play in a lot of different positions, in a lot of different roles. Although I’m an attacking player, I think I help the team defend in certain ways; I think I help the team get results in certain ways, even when it’s not attacking-wise. I think I have a lot of versatility. I think my experiences over the years have contributed to me being able to do that, so I think I would have been able to help the team in  a lot of ways.
Was JK not giving you a chance by not considering you as anything as a forward?
I can only control what I can control. That’s a question you’ll have to ask other people.
Do you see this as being personal between you and Klinsmann?
I think if I’m being judged based solely on what happened in camp, then I absolutely deserve to be going to Brazil.
What this means for career?
Honestly, I haven’t had much time to think about that yet. I love this country. I love playing for this country. I’ve always loved representing this country, so I can’t imagine that if I’m given another opportunity that I would say no, assuming that I’m still capable.  But at this point, I’m just trying to deal with the disappointment.
Why would JK’s son mock you on Twitter?
To be honest, I don’t know his son well, so I’m not sure where that came from.
It adds to impression your omission is personal
I can’t speak to that. I have no idea.
Standby?
Right now, of course I would say yes to being called in to represent my country in a World Cup. That’s what I’ve been working for my entire life. I don’t wish anybody any ill will. I hope everyone stays healthy. A part of this, although it’s disappointing for all 7 of us who didn’t get to go and the many others who didn’t make the 30, I think it’s very important that after today, we all move forward and support this team. They have a big task ahead. I have a lot of friends on that team and teammates that I really want to focus that energy and move it towards supporting them so we can have a successful World Cup.

No comments: