Sunday, October 21, 2007

Award winners, first set

I've decided on my Goalkeeper of the Year. Big shock, but I'm going with Brad Guzan. He's been the best 'keeper in the league this season for many reasons. First, his 13 shutouts are the second-most single-season total in MLS history. He's a commanding presence on Chivas' backline and has come up with the big save time and time again.

Preki also gets my vote for Coach of the Year. Few gave Chivas a chance in the preseason. Paco Palencia and Juan Pablo Garcia were gone and with the inexperienced Preki in charge, many predicted doom. Then, the Amado Guevara situation also prompted fears that many to think that Preki didn't know how to handle players. But Chivas USA won the Western Conference. In the end, it may look like Chivas limped across the finish line but they turned away a determined Dynamo team, one of the team's biggest nemesis, to win the conference.

If Chicago wins or ties today, I'm picking Cuauhtemoc Blanco for my Most Valuable Player. Otherwise, Juan Pablo Angel gets the nod.

I'm still trying to sort out my Best XI. So far, I've penciled in Brad Guzan, Juan Pablo Angel, Cuauhtemoc Blanco and Luciano Emilio. The formation is a 3-5-2 so we'll see where I plug in other players.

No comments: