Tuesday, January 30, 2007

On the dentist's chair

Today was rather weak. I had to go to the dentist. Recently, I found out I had five cavities (hey kids, brush your teeth) and I finally and begrudgingly had them filled. On Monday I had the first set filled. Then, Tuesday I had the second set. On the first day, the dentist didn't use enough Novocain and I felt some of the drilling. The second day had no such problems.

Still, while I was sitting there with the dentist's hands inside my mouth, several random soccer thoughts crossed through my mind.

* I can't wait until preseason camp starts for Chivas USA and the Galaxy. I miss going out to training sessions and talking to players. There will be a different feel to both camps this year. With Chivas, the only consistency has been inconsistency. Three years ago I got to know Thomas Rongen, then Hans Westerhof. Last year I got to know Bob Bradley pretty well and now it's Preki's turn. Hopefully Preki stays longer than his predecessors. The Galaxy, meanwhile, will try to keep the seat warm for David Beckham. I'm expecting a lot more media out for Galaxy training sessions, even in February with no Becks nearby.

* Every time something good happens for the Galaxy, I can't help but think of how Doug Hamilton would react. I miss Doug.

* Lalas... he's done well but this year will be a pivotal year for the rest of his career. Now that he's got Becks, the pressure will be gigantic. Competing in three tournaments won't help either. The Galaxy can't go cup-less again.

* Just speculating but we could see something like this Wednesday in Glendale, Ariz.: Tim Howard; Jonathan Bornstein, Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Steve Cherundolo; DaMarcus Beasley, Pablo Mastroeni, Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey; Eddie Johnson, Kenny Cooper.

* And we could see something like this for Mexico: Oswaldo Sanchez; Carlos Salcido, Rafael Marquez, Ricardo Osorio; Andres Guardado, Gonzalo Pineda, Pavel Pardo, Gerardo Torrado; Adolfo Bautista, Kikin Fonseca, Jared Borgetti.

*Damn, what a game that would be.

* Trying to think the last time Mexico beat the U.S. in the U.S.... 1999 US Cup in San Diego. Mexico won 2-1. I wasn't there.

* I've only covered one US-Mexico game, the 2-0 US win in October 2000 when Landon Donovan scored his first-ever US goal. My lede that night: The future of American soccer has arrived.

* I wrote that game for internetsoccer.com. Ah, the good old days.

* Is this dentist finished yet?!?

No comments: