Monday, January 29, 2007

In the know

As I walked to the USMNT's training field today, I greeted the LA Galaxy's Ante Jazic, who was again loitering and watching the practice, while chatting with Pam Perkins, the U.S. squad's manager.

Jazic called after me, "What's the news? What's the latest?"

I think writing early that Beckham was on his way to MLS has cemented my rep for a bit. It'll be hard for me to top being right on that call for a while.

I turned back, "You're on the team - don't you have the inside info? Have they cleared out a space for his locker yet?"

"Is he coming early?" Jazic persisted.

Thinking it was amusing how we were both using the generic pronoun "he" yet knew exactly who we were talking about, I shook my head. "Not yet."

"What I want to know is, are we getting a private charter when he gets here?" Jazic asked. "That would be really nice."

Happy I could contribute some helpful info, I nodded. "Yeah, that one looks like it's going to happen, actually."

Pam Perkins added an interesting tidbit. "Yes, and I hear that Bruce is looking to do the same thing in New York. He's asked for a charter."

No comments: