Tuesday, December 26, 2006

BECKHAM to LA?

Yes, I'll admit, I think Beckham is coming to the Galaxy. Let
me remind everybody, though, that the signs
looked good for Klinsmann coaching the U.S team as well. So I'm not saying it's any done deal.

I'm also not over the moon about it. Yes, I see distinct positives to Beckham's arrival, but to tell the truth, he didn't exactly do anything incredibly amazing on the field when he was here in 2005, playing against the Galaxy then.

Michael Owen looked far more impressive, and Real Madrid didn't try
that hard to hold on to him, either.

Beckham, though, was great with the media on his visit with Real Madrid. He spoke to everyone, even in Spanish to a few outlets. Owen, Zidane and others couldn't be bothered. Ronaldo said a few words.

So while I think talk of Beckham dominating MLS is overblown, I do think he's an asset to the league, partly due to his willingness to take part in the interaction with the media that will raise the profile of the sport in the U.S.



No comments: